Gentle Noticing and Nicknames

The sound of the guitar and the music of Kawika's voice touched something in the Hare. Through the wagon's north-facing window, the music settled into him. His hunches relaxed into his paws, his ears rested on his back, his eyes softened. My son and I talked in between his strumming and singing. No FaceTime. He depended on my description for what was happening. I sent the photo above as a text message while we talked, listened.

I was pleased for the company.

Funny how many more options we have now to connect and how the quality of conversation varies. Like the difference between the melting boundaries of watercolor the message is delivered, but it's not an oil painting nor the black ink on paper that is writing. I like the choices but sometimes I'm like the relaxed Hare on a Sunday afternoon. Sometimes it's just hanging out and being together that fills my cup.

There is only one Hare among the many Bunnies and Rabbits. I resist 'looking these things up' to identify and quantity my kilo (observations). Somehow the gap between truth and imagination wants to keep me from knowing the exact truth. With our own eyes we see the differences between Mr. Hare and all the others. The wire bristle texture of his fur marks him. We think we see his genetic collusion in the Rabbits Pete and I have taken to calling the 'Razor Backs.' Their raising bristle along their spines triggers our naming, but it's a genetic hand-me-down that my Dad left with me: nick naming.


With four windows in an eighty square foot home, noticing is something we spend a lot of time doing.
  “Nature excels in her least things.- Poet and writer Jane Yolen attributes that quote to the inspiration that led to writing her book LEAST THINGS


How much time do you spend noticing? Do you have nicknames for your neighbors? Do they have nicknames for you?

The Safety Pin Cafe Mojo, the magic of intertwining medicine and stories double back on tales that I forget I wrote. That's what happens when stories are written with their own intentions. We, the writers, are the mythic ponies ... the story rides us. Sometimes story will slip between our skin and shift us. I hope you find this message and go to the RELATED link that is below. 😘

RELATED

The Three Sisters

Comments

Popular Posts